For the second week in a row, an undefeated team that had the NFL’s best Discipline Index — the 33rd Team’s formula for ranking an NFL team’s ability to minimize mistakes — dropped from the top spot due to some critical turnovers and penalties. And not surprisingly, those mistakes contributed to that team losing its first game of the season. Two weeks ago, it was Green Bay getting drubbed by the Buccaneers. The Seahawks grabbed the No. 1 spot last week, but a late-game penalty and turnover led to their Sunday night overtime loss in Arizona.
Some other observations on this week’s Discipline Index:
- The Panthers, Buccaneers and Chargers saw the biggest jump fro last week.
- The Steelers, Giants, and Seahawks took the biggest plunge. The Seahawks dropped from No. 1 to No. 8.
- The top five teams in the Discipline Index have a combined record of 19-13.
- Four teams in the top 10 have a losing record (Texans, Chargers, Patriots, Falcons)
- Three teams commit an avergae of at least 7 pernaties per game. The Jets are one of those teams and, not surprisingly, they are 0-7. But the other two teams are the Cardinals and Bears, which a combined record of 10-4.
Here’s the complete Discipline Index heading into Week 8: