Former University of Georgia star defensive lineman Jalen Carter (scouting report) reached an agreement with Athens-Clarke County (Ga.) prosecutors Thursday, entering pleas of no contest to charges of racing and reckless driving, ESPN reported.
Carter, No. 1 on The 33rd Team’s Draft Big Board, was sentenced to 12 months probation, a $1,000 fine and 80 hours of community service. He also must complete a state-approved defensive driving course, according to his attorney, Kim T. Stephens.
Stephens claims Carter “never left the scene” and did not cause the car accident that took the lives of teammate Devin Willock and Georgia recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy on Jan. 15.
>>READ: Carter Made Critical Mistakes
“We are happy that we were able to work with the Solicitor General’s office to reach a resolution that was fair and just based on the evidence in this case,” Stephens told ESPN. “Mr. Carter continues to grieve for the loss of his friends and continues to pray for their families, as well as for the continued healing for injured friends.”
Stephens also told ESPN Carter was not under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substances the night of the crash.
Carter was considered the possible No. 1 pick in the upcoming NFL Draft before police issued a warrant for his arrest on the eve of his workout at the NFL Combine in February. He left the combine and returned to Georgia to answer the charges, before coming back to Indianapolis. His draft stock has dropped since then.
The defensive tackle showed up to his pro day on Wednesday nine pounds heavier than he was at the combine. He opted to only participate in positional drills but could not finish them due to poor conditioning.
Carter didn’t speak to reporters Wednesday after missing his media session at the combine.
WATCH: Carter Could Be Off Draft Boards