The top five teams and seven of the top 10 in this week’s Discipline Index are from the AFC. Does that mean the AFC is the better conference? That’s up for debate… but it’s safe to say that more AFC teams are better at minimizing their mistakes.
As a reminder, the Discipline Index combines penalties, penalty yards and turnovers to show which teams are making the fewest mistakes.
A few interesting notes:
- The Titans have moved up to No. 2 on the Discipline Index, based largely on the fact they commit just 0.5 turnovers per game, best in the league.
- Five teams average less than one turnover per game: Texans, Titans, Steelers, Packers and Chiefs. Combined record: 36-14.
- Three teams average at least two turnovers per game: Eagles, Broncos and Cowboys. Combined record: 10-19-1.
- The Saints climbed two more sports to No. 21 on the Discipline Index. The ranking is due to the fact they allow 67.7 penalty yards per game — but that number is improving weekly. The Saints were committing more than 90 penalty yards per game earlier in the season.
- Looking for an edge in Sunday’s game between the Ravens and steelers? Pittsburgh is fifth in the Discipline Index; Baltimore is 26th.
Here’s are the complete Discipline Index rankings: